Thursday, May 12, 2016

Addison Birthday Party

A few weeks ago we had Addison's 1st Birthday party. When Mason turned 1 we had all of our family and friends over for a indoor party, but it was fairly low key compared to this party. I knew when we started thinking about Addison's party I wanted to think of Mason and most of our friends kiddos. Most are 3 and older and I knew would not be okay just sitting eating food, cake, and watching Addison open gifts. We didn't have a party for Mason this year, since he got to go skiing for his birthday, so it was almost like his party too. 

We did a carnival theme. Addison being the Ring Master. I got on Pinterest and found some ideas and got to making games and fun items for the party. I am big on DIY. We ended up with a face painter and a bounce house. The bounce house was curtesy of our babysitter/nanny. Both items were a HUGE hit with the bigger kids. Mason jumped in the bounce house until it was dark. 
Here is a picture of all the decorations. We made a bag toss game and a picture board with a lion and ringmaster out of wood. They were fun to paint. My family are all really good artists and I have always been able to take an idea and they will draw it and then I color or paint it. This time M took care of the drawing for me and I painted them. It took me probably two days to complete all the painting. We have a popcorn machine for our media room, so we brought it down. I order cracker jacks, cotton candy, and animal crackers for the kids. We also tried to keep with the theme going for food and had corndogs and nachos. I was surprised how many adults ate the corndogs. I really had them thinking the kids would like them over the nachos. Apparently parents too. 
 The kids all had a blast. Our initial plans were to have the party in our backyard. But it rained and rained and rained all week and really it was raining up until the party time. I was afraid we would all be stuck in the garage. Luckily the sun came out and the bounce house got blown up. The party was in our front yard. I was waiting for all the neighborhood kids to come join in on the fun.

Addison was so sleepy as the party went onward. She goes to bed at 6:30 most nights, and her party was from 4-6, so the closer 6 came the sleepier she was and would just lay on me.
The face painter was AMAZING!!! I really think I want her at every party we ever have from now on. The kids loved it and she was goooooood. Addison, as you can tell, was a little nervous about getting painted. She was nervous the entire party and would only go to me, Michael or my parents. I was surprised that she would go to my Dad. She normally won't stay with him long, but I think there were just too many people for her. I loved seeing them love on her, but I had to stay back or she would throw herself to me. She is totally a Mama's girl and I love it.  I wish I had stopped every kiddo and gotten a picture of their faces, but here are a few I caught.
The party was a lot of fun. It was a lot of work, but I loved every minute of planning and watching all of the kids have so much fun. I am always thinking about the next party we could throw. It is fun to see kids faces (not just my own kids) light up in excitement and having fun.

I think next year, we will probably be taking Mason skiing again, but I am thinking at 4 and on he will probably tell us what kind of party he wants to have and who he wants to invite if he has one. And once the kids are in elementary school I figure all of our parties will be kid driven not me driven. I will enjoy it a few more years with Addison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.