Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Flying with a Baby: Must Haves


Next week, I will be heading to Washington DC with my Mom and AddieMo. It is a long long work trip from Sunday-Friday. I was telling my Mom how I didn't want to be away from the baby that long and how hard I thought it would be for Michael. 2-3 day trips aren't horrible with two kids, but 5+ days can be rough. My Mom said she would love to come with me and we could take AddieMo. I was so excited. I love Washington DC in the Fall and I love that this will be our First (of many) Girl Trips!!

I thought I would take the time to write down all the items to take/pack/carry with you when traveling with a baby. We are taking Mason skiing in January, maybe I will do another about traveling with a toddler. When Mason was a baby we flew with him a few times. It was really easy, but I think it was because we were prepared.

Common items that most people traveling with babies may not know:

  1. You can wear, in a carrier, your baby through security. I always take my Ergo. It keeps my hands free and it allows me to keep the baby close. I have never ever been asked to take the baby out to go through the metal detector. Oh yeah that's the other thing...you will walk through the metal detector not the x-ray. They will wipe your hands for whatever they are testing for once you are through. 
  2. You can bring breastmilk or water for formula without restrictions on the 3oz rule. With my first, we formula fed when traveling and we carried bottles with water in them. At the time he was drinking 6-7oz, so that's how much water was in them. They will ask you to open each one and will hold a test strip over the bottle, without touching the bottles. Again testing for who knows what. 
  3. The airlines will check under the plane your carseat and stroller for no charge. I fly American Airlines and that's what they have done for me. I usually keep the carseat in a bag to protect it and have them check it and I take the stroller with me. Taking the stroller is helpful. It can be a change of scenery for the baby when walking through the airports and it can hold bags and junk when carrying the baby. 
So, what am I taking on this trip. I feel like I am going to pack the house if I am not careful. AddieMo is an easy baby. We need bottles, baby food, diapers, wipes and clothes. Right? We are staying at a Marriott. I have already requested a Fridge. You have to tell them it is for Medical Reasons if the hotel doesn't have them in every room. I have requested a crib for the room. I was going to take the Pack N' Play, which is what we did with Mason, but I had Michael most of the time and he is a good mule of baby equipment. Mom and I...not so great. We are taking a crib sheet for that and blankets...of course her favorites. I am taking a small container of dish soap to wash the bottles and a sanitizing bag to make sure they are extra clean. I am taking a small container of laundry detergent, just in case. I don't want to pack 3 weeks of clothing, so the detergent might come in handy if she decides to spit up on herself like she has this week.

Here is my current list for Hotel:
PJs
Outfits
Crib Sheet
Coat and Sweater 
Diapers
Wipes
Lotion
Bath Soap
Food
Bottles
Sanitize Bags
Blankets
Car Seat and Cover
Dish Detergent
Laundry Detergent
Stroller
Ergo
Toys
Extra Pacis
Bibs

List for the diaper bag/plane:
3 Bottles with water
Baby Food
2 changes of clothes
Burp Cloths
Stroller
Ergo
Toys 
Paci
 
I am sure I am missing something. I still have to figure out what I am taking for myself. I am thankful this isn't my first time traveling with a baby. My Mom is nervous. She keeps calling me asking about taking items. Take this...don't forget that. I have laughed at her a few times, but she is the one going to be spending a lot of time with the baby while I work, so I will just smile and get our bags packed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.