Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pregnancy Belly

I have had a few people ask about my belly.  Most of these have come from people who didn’t know me prior to pregnancy or who read this blog.  People tell me constantly that I don’t look pregnant.  I also love saying how many weeks along I am and watching people’s shocked looks.  I have to say a few things about this as clarification for people wondering if they are big enough or small enough for the same amount of weeks. 

Mornings make my belly look smaller than evenings.  If I have been standing all day it definitely sticks out further.  I should do a series of pictures throughout the day.  Certain shirts make it look bigger or smaller.  I am pretty self-conscious of the belly.  I have been the same size since high school.  I exercised and worked really hard to have a muscular stomach.  I wear shirts that are looser and of course that means it isn’t very noticeable.  I take my weekly bump shots in the morning.  It is just easier for me.  

I am not big on showing it off (yet).  People are already touching it.  This is weird to me.  I want to put my hand on their stomach.  My husband tells me I need to get over this.  So, I started rubbing his stomach and asked him if that was weird to him.  He tried not to laugh, because he agreed it was a little weird.  My own mother hasn’t even touched it because she knows.  My Dad on the other hand has touched it and he likes to add how he knows I hate it, but he says he isn’t used to seeing a belly on me so he has to touch it.  He usually is laughing while he does it.  I am sure my face says it all.

I am 5 foot 6 inches tall.  I think it is important for women to know this.  I think height definitely effects the belly.  My Mom is shorter than me by several inches.  In fact, I am the tallest girl in my family by several inches.  My Mom tells me all the time that when you are shorter there is only one direction that baby can go and that is out.  I have seen other people’s bump pictures and I think wow her bump looks like a pregnant belly.  I am definitely feeling like mine is getting closer, but it could also look like a beer gut too.  Everyone shows at different times and to different extremes.  Since, I spent the first trimester sick I think that effects the way my bump looks.  I lost several pounds before I was able to start gaining.  

I hope this helps all the ladies out there questioning there bumps.  I still question mine from time to time.  I don’t think I look very pregnant.  I will share a funny story:  My husband has a tendency to say whatever comes to his mind.  The other day I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts.  My husband proceeded to tell me how I look like a man with a beer gut…and laughs.  At first I was like what the heck are you talking about you mean person, then he proceeded to tell me why he said it.  My t-shirt didn’t touch my shorts (anymore).  It stood out from my belly, just like a man with a beer gut.  Thanks husband I appreciated that.  I did laugh.  He wasn’t trying to be mean, he just was stating the best he could what he saw.  It was his way of letting me know I am showing.  Got to love the man’s prospective.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.