Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Helping Others.

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens

I travel a few times a month. I spend time people watching, and I spend time in my own little world. I took note of something that happen to me a lot while I was pregnant and then noticed it was completely different not pregnant.

I bet you think I am going to say something about how more people were helpful and nice to me while I was pregnant. This is not true. Maybe it was just the people on the planes I fly. While I was pregnant no one offered to place my suitcase in the overhead bin for me. Not that I was looking for help. I travel enough that I don’t care if I do it myself or not. I bring this up because I noticed it with another pregnant woman when I was flying last week.

As I was getting on both planes that did not have gate checked bag options, I had very nice gentlemen offer to place my bag in the overhead bin. These very nice gentlemen also grabbed my bag for me when getting off the plane. When I was pregnant, lets say very pregnant, as in people could tell I was pregnant not just fat, I traveled at least half a dozen times before I was told by my doctor no more flights. I did not have a single offering to place my bag in the overhead bin. Not one time. I would watch people, men and women, watch me put that heavy carryon in the bin. Now, let me add, I only carry on for trips that were two days or less. I remember telling my husband at the time I thought it was strange, but I have always been a do it myself girl, so I did not get upset about this…until I watched it happen to a lady last week.

Poor girl, was struggling. If I had been remotely close to her I would have gotten up and helped her. People looked at her…people sitting just below where she was placing the bag looked concerned it was going to fall on their heads, but that person did not help her. I came home and immediately looked at my husband and said if you ever see a lady in front of you, behind you, or near you trying to place their bag in a bin, please please help her. He, of course, told me he does this and I know he probably does. But ladies and gentlemen please help each other. I was sadden that I could get help from the people around me (even though I did not need it), but this poor girl did not get help and probably could use it. I don’t know why there is a difference but I noticed it and I see it happening. I like to help other people, so everyone help someone…a neighbor…a friend…a complete stranger.

I should add that I thought the flight attendants were very nice to me while I was pregnant. I remember one guy, who I don’t remember why exactly, offered me a glass of wine. I must have been having a bad day. Now, this was early in my pregnancy and he did not know. I thanked him and told him I could not. After a few back and forth conversation about how I did not need a glass of wine, he gave me a weird look and finally said are you pregnant? I said yes, and he probably knew before most of my friends…haha. This flight attendant then brought me a YUMMY chocolate chip cookie hot and fresh out of the oven from first class. He then told me if I see him on another flight (after I had the baby) to remind him and he will get me that glass of wine! I will remember him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.