Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I am a mutant

I finally gave up and went to the doctor on Friday. I have been having elbow pain for about a month and a half. I knew it was tennis elbow, and I knew it was from carrying around Mason…all 25lbs of him. I needed to go visit a physical therapist. In order to make that appointment I needed a referral from my doctor. I actually came in expecting a short appointment ending with them faxing over my referral. What I did not expect is what happened next.

The doctor wanted to get an x-ray just to ensure I did not have a broken bone. This was probably from the fact that I wanted to swing at her head when she touched a certain part of my elbow. I described the pain and problems, and she just wanted to be certain and sent me down to get an x-ray. She also told me I could leave after and she would call me with the results. The x-ray tech asked me to wait a minute to check the film to make sure she got good shots. I could hear her talking with the other tech, who asked if that was a fracture. Uh oh! She came back in and said something about going back upstairs to talk to the doctor. I told her, she had said I could leave. The look on the techs face said it all…and I said unless there is a reason I should stay. She called the doctor who wanted me to wait until a radiologist could review the films. I was almost panicking. I had no idea what she saw…a fracture…bone cancer. I mean every scenario was running through my mind. The look on her face was worry. She then came out and told me the radiologist wanted someone else to take a look and they would call me. At that point I was thinking what the heck is wrong with me?

Before I made it home, the nurse was calling me. She told me that I had an extra bone in my elbow. What What? An extra bone? Well that explains the strange look on the x-ray techs face. Who has an extra bone? Me! Apparently it is called a sesamoid bone. When you have this extra bone it can cause increased pain when one gets tennis elbow. My head was spinning. I am going to Physical Therapy next week (unless I am on the road for work). I am hoping the PT person can give me more information. I Google this bone. The nurse said some people have an extra rib or extra bone in their foot…I have it in my arm. She said on the positive note…if you break it you have an extra. Haha.

 This is the image from Google.

I am going to try and get a copy of my x-ray.  Until then, we can just refer to me as a Mutant. Or as Michael said I am a sign of evolution. Maybe we need this extra bone in the future. Got to love that thought process.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear it isn't broken! I'm Heather and I was hoping you could answer a question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.