Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 14

As I mentioned yesterday, week 14 has been very interesting to say the least.  We had a very big scare on Sunday.  Everything is fine with the baby, but apparently I have to be way more careful. 

Michael and I were going to go to Fort Smith Sunday to take my car to sale at my Mom’s shop, but first decided to go vacuum out the car at the local car wash and then run to Lowe’s to pick up some paint for the baby’s room.  Everything was going great.  We ate breakfast, donuts and milk, and then headed out.  I felt perfectly fine while helping Michael vacuum the car even though it was hot it wasn’t too bad. 

We then headed to Lowe’s.  We were standing at the paint counter waiting for the cans to be mixed when I started to feel funny.  It started out as I thought I was going to lose my breakfast.  I was moving around and talking to Michael about how I don’t feel so good.  Maybe I should go outside, just in case I puke.  He could tell something was wrong.  The next thing I said to Michael was I think I am going to faint.  I have NEVER fainted in my life.  Michael grabbed my arm and had me lean against the counter.  About that time everything went black and I woke up on the floor.  As I came back, I was confused and I was having trouble hearing Michael due to the crazy ringing in my ears.  I was so embarrassed to be on the floor in the middle of Lowe’s.  I was very thankful I said something to Michael who caught me and laid me down on the ground.  Could have been uglier if I had just fallen.  I was scared.  I kept saying the baby what about the baby.  Michael and I were going to leave Lowe’s and go to the ER, but I texted a doctor friend and talked to my Mom.  They both made me feel better that apparently it isn’t so uncommon for pregnant women to faint.  My mom told me she did it and later one of my friend’s told me she had also done it a few times.

As we were driving home, poor Michael had to pull over so I could lose my breakfast.  He was hanging on to my arm and leg, so afraid I would faint out of the car.  I called the doctor Sunday night and left a message for the nurse.  She called me first thing in the morning Monday.  At first she wanted me to come into the office right away, and then after I told her my breakfast and two hours later I faint.  She decided it was probably just a drop in my blood sugar.  She spoke with the doctor who agreed, but they gave me a number to call if it happens again.  Apparently I should have called the on call doctor, but I didn’t have that number and now I do.  I am to eat a protein every two hours and drink lots of water.  The heat on top of the lack of a healthy breakfast was not good for my body.  I have to be very careful to keep my blood sugar up and she recommended I carry something sugary or nuts in my purse just in case it happens again.

At the very least, I now know the signs and will be better prepared to find a seat on the ground if I should feel this way again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.