Friday, July 17, 2009

Florida

July 2nd, I flew to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My friend, Megan, recently made West Palm Beach her new home. I went down there to help her get settled and of course to enjoy the warm weather, the sun, and maybe the beach. I spent 10 days in an apartment with no furniture or TV. Yikes!

I am getting ahead of myself. The day I was flying out started the week badly. My flight was three hours delayed. Should have known something then. By the time I arrived in Fort Lauderdale it was almost 1:00AM. As soon as Megan picked me up at the airport we drove 40 minutes to a hotel in West Palm Beach. So tired we were knocked out. The next day we went to Megan's new apartment, which is in a high rise next to the intercoastal. When we walked into Megan's apartment it was covered in dirt and a film of tile dust. The smoke alarm was also beeping at us. Priority one, make the alarm stop beeping or we might not be sleeping in the apartment. If it hadn't been for the 20 foot ceilings and the alarm being on the wall next to the ceiling, we might have been able to handle that task alone. We went and got help and then went to Wal-Mart for cleaning supplies.

Once back with new batteries and cleaning supplies, the security guard came up to try and help the problem. Well apparently a new battery doesn't help much so the smoke alarm ended up not being reconnected. So, Megan and I start cleaning the apartment at the same time as washing sheets to sleep on that evening (on an air mattress). Not too long later Megan and I begin to hear water, but it sounded like the water was hitting tile. Sure enough the washer was leaking. We immediately call for help and the security guard comes upstairs and turns off the water, but not before we learned that the sink and refrigerator were also leaking water. So fun.

This basically sums up the never ending problems this apartment has brought. I did find some time, while also working remotely for my job, to lay out in the sun. Megan and I met some really nice people in her building. I think she will be in good hands.
Beautiful Sunset
View from Megan's Apartment
One of the weekends
It stormed everyday
This storm brought lots of lightning
New friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.