Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Project-Garden

Michael is already making fun of my newest project. This is mainly because last summer I tried to have a veggie garden in the backyard, which didn’t work out for me. It was not my fault that everything I tried to plant, my dog ate. I tried everything to keep her out of the garden, but she is SMART. She couldn’t resist the fresh dirt or the fact that we wouldn’t let her in that area. She definitely had the, “I will show them” mentality. Oh well, he told me it wouldn’t work and it didn’t. This year is another day and another story.

We have a front garden area, which the builder setup at our house. They didn’t know what to plant or something because most everything died. I blame it on the fact that the front of our house is a direct sunlight area, and the plants burned up and died. The few that survived are going to be dug up and thrown out; survival is not in their favor.

So, I have a plan of action. Step one is to clear all dead plants and mulch out of the garden. I spent a lot of time raking and shoveling the mulch. The garden is not huge, but is big enough that I spent 4 hours working on clearing the mulch. I had to have Michael come help me. It was hard work and I am very happy Michael helped. Once all the mulch and dead/alive plants were removed, I sat on the ground and pulled weeds and grass. I want this garden to be nice and I knew if I didn’t pull up as much of the weeds and grass that it would become a bigger problem. Grass was probably the worst. We have Bermuda grass and it runs wild. At that point there was no mulch, no weeds, no grass, and basically no plants. I remembered my parents putting this black stuff down in their gardens to help with the weeds, Weed Control. So, I then proceeded to lay out the Weed Control stuff and it was by far the easiest job. Spread and cut to size, making room for the few plants we had left in the garden. In order to keep the weed control from blowing out of the garden we used a little mulch to cover it. The garden, at this point is ready for some planting.

When picking the plants to put in the garden I had two important wants. First, I wanted something that would come back every year, so that this project would not be a yearly event. The second thing I wanted was to have flowering plants. I love plants with color. Every time I see a colorful garden I think, WOW, that’s so pretty. I picked three different plants. One is called, Freesia. It is of course a flowering plant that has a wonderful scent. It will be at the front of the garden. Another plant I picked was the Gladiola. Hopefully they will become my favorite flowering plant in my garden. The last, but definitely not least, plant I chose was a Dahlias. I saw these beautiful flowers one visit to Seattle. It is a gorgeous flowering plant that was in every single bouquet at the market. I was so in love I couldn’t resist when I saw them at the store. During the first day of my gardening project, we were able to plant the Freesias.

On the second day of my gardening project, I planted the rest of my bulbs and laid the mulch on top. I didn’t forget the most important part, WATER. The garden got a good soak. I can’t wait until summer, when I should begin to see my flowers. Hopefully I will be proving to Michael that I can garden, when my beautiful flowers sprout. Below you will see pictures of my progression.

The Beginning:

After the mulch and Plants were removed:
Weed Control Black Lining Laid out:
The End Result Minus the New Plants, which will come this summer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.