Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome to August!!

outsideIt is hot here!  Where my parents live, I am pretty sure, they have had 30 days of 100 degrees or more.  I looked at the weather forecast this morning and it is going to be HOT HOT HOT for the next 7 days.  We need to mow the lawn but I am worried it will just burn up afterwards.  I am even more concerned about animals.  Dogs, cats, and even wildlife. 

I hope if you have an animal and they are an outside animal, make sure they have tons of water and shade.  It is too warm for them.  I worry every time Gabby goes outside and wants to play.  She gets so hot so fast and then I bring her in and she lays on the air vents.  My dog still has energy that she needs to burn, so we have to be creative.  We have taken her to Michael’s Mom’s house to swim several times.  Gabby loves walks and really wants to go everyday.  So, what do I do to keep her cool?  Before we walk, I take the water hose and spray her down.  When we get home I will actually turn the air down so that it kicks on, and I remind Gabby where the air vent is in the room we are in.  If you have an outdoor dog, bring them into the house or garage during the hottest parts of the day.  Provide them we a fan in the garage and keep the garage door cracked a little to allow the heat to circulate, of course I would recommend you are careful and make sure the door isn’t cracked enough for the doggie to crawl under.    airvent

WATER WATER WATER.  Dogs and cats need this to keep cool!!!  I have noticed on two occasions, driving to my parents house, a mama deer and her baby drinking from a water feature at a local business.  Even the wildlife are having problems finding water.  Get something for the wildlife, this includes the birds.  A bird bath would be amazing for those creatures.  I think bird baths are ugly and gross, but next time you are outside take a note on how few birds you see out.  Lets keep our sweet animals safe while we endure our heat wave.

swim2

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.