Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Old Items…Old Memories

My parents or should I say my Dad brought me a box of my old junk.  Mostly pictures from high school and college, and old junk from school years.  Most of it really could have been thrown out.  When they brought it over I joked with my parents, that I really didn’t want that stuff.  My mom said she told my dad that I wouldn’t want it.  I went through it last night.  Mainly to make a trash pile and a keep pile. 

I found pictures, most of which I remembered and some that were very old and those made me happy.  The memories, some good and some bad were interesting to recall.  I also found some old journals.  I can’t decide it I should keep those or trash them.  I even found some old newspaper articles I was quoted and even photographed. 

The most interesting item I found was a letter from a teacher in high school.  This teacher and I still see each other, as he goes to church with my parents, and it was funny to read, so I wanted to share his words of wisdom when entering the “real world.”

  • Manufacturers aren’t kidding when they say, “wash white garments separately.”
  • The “rate of interest” is what kills you, not the “down payment.”
  • Your new neighbors will never share your enthusiasm for the stereo being played at full volume at 2:00AM.  ***someone should share this advice with some neighbors in my neighborhood
  • Yes, cars need gas! (but also: oil, antifreeze, insurance, brake and transmission fluid, and about one-third of your annual salary) ***I will always remember he also told us to never let the gas tank dip below a quarter of a tank in the wintertime. 
  • Buy an alarm clock that works…and use it. ***he should have added and remember to set it
  • Frequency of pushing on elevator buttons does not hasten the arrival of an elevator.
  • Grocery coupons are socially acceptable.
  • If you mess with something long enough, it will eventually break.
  • Never marry anyone with more problems than you have.
  • Never get married simply because it seems like the time to get married. Get married because you want to live with someone for the rest of your life, including days-off, sick days, vacations, and even retirement. ***this is the best advice he ever wrote and I wish more people took this advice.  the divorce rate might decrease
  • Eat good meals. Junk food kills.
  • Buy good stuff. It lasts longer. Warranties aren’t always that good. ***VERY TRUE
  • The world is not fair, but seek justice, love, mercy, walk humbly…anyway.
  • At some point in your life, your family will be the only thing you have. Treat every person right. ***wish more people lived this way. this is why we moved back from Chicago.
  • We all screw-up, but in different ways.  Forgiveness is essential to survival.  We have to forgive others and we must learn to forgive ourselves.

Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.