Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baby Shower Gift Ideas

I have mentioned this before, but I have several friends who are expecting.  These are fairly close friends, who we see weekly or multi times a week.  So, when one of them had a shower fast approaching I started thinking what I should get them.  It is hard because I wanted to do something personal.  Clothes are cute and I know there are many other items that people need, but I didn’t want to give them clothes which they will probably have more than enough or items they need but are not very personal.  I wanted to make something.  I can be crafty, but I am also horrible at sewing.  I thought and thought.  I got on Pinterest and Google.  Ideas everywhere, but nothing I was in love with. 

I am also planning a baby shower for one of these friends and while looking for shower ideas I found a gift idea.  Blocks.  Handmade wooden blocks.  Thank you Martha Stewart.  I found the idea on her website, but changed it up a little and decided to make it with the baby’s name. 

Supplies:

  • Paint
  • Paper
  • Wooden Blocks
  • ModPodge

IMG_0809I painted the blocks but only the edges, and I planned to cover them with the paper but parts might be exposed. To save on time and paint I just did the edges.IMG_0812I have a paper cutter so cutting these down to size was easy.  I got the paper at Hobby Lobby and picked 6 different colors to go on the 6 sides.  I used Mod Podge and attached the paper to the blocks.  I also used a card (like a credit card) to get out all bubbles.  I then added three more layers of Mod Podge to the top. IMG_0813Close up picture.IMG_0814I then hand painted the name.  I picked 6 different fonts 3 capitalized and 3 lower case and painted the name 6 times.  I found the fonts online and then actually traced them on the blocks before painting.  I am not artistic enough to hand do them without tracing.  I had to paint a few coats to make them look perfect. Here is the first font after one coat.IMG_0816Here is a close up.IMG_0817Here are all but one font.  I guess I didn’t take a picture of the last font, which was the most detailed and hardest, but my favorite.IMG_0818IMG_0819IMG_0820IMG_0821Here is the final product.IMG_0826

I will tell you about project number 2 tomorrow.  This next project was a lot EASY then the blocks.  The blocks took a lot of time to do but I think they ended up looking GREAT!  BTW all the products I used are not dangerous to babies.  These could be played with, chewed on, or used for decorations they would not be harmful at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.