Thursday, March 15, 2012

Best Friend

My best friend reminded me yesterday how long we have been friends.  15 years!!!  This makes me feel so old, but at the same time there are plenty of people out there who have had the same best friend for longer.  Elementary school or before.

Veronica and I met in junior high in the 7th grade.  She had just moved into our school when we met and we were instant besties.  We have been friends so long it is hard to remember exact details, but I think it is pretty amazing that we are still friends after all this time.  The summer before we started high school Veronica went to stay with her Dad in Alaska.  She did this every summer, so I was used to not having her around all the time.  I remember when she came back she told me that she wanted to go live with her Dad.  I was crushed.  Who doesn’t want to start high school with their best friend?  It was so sad, but I don’t remember being mad at her.  High School was hard without her, but she came to Arkansas for the summers since her Mom still lived here. 

60

Once college started for both of us, her mom had moved back to Alaska to be closer to her own family.  That meant no more summers with her.  She moved to Oregon for college and I stayed local.  (Maybe we should have coordinated that)  We actually talked less and less in college.  It was becoming harder and harder.  Then my senior year of college happened and Veronica met the man of her dreams.  She called me one day and told me she was moving to Nashville and getting married (to a guy she hadn’t known that long).  I was SHOCKED.  I knew we hadn’t talked as often but I was still shocked.  She told me how much she wanted me to come to her wedding.  I said of course I would come without even thinking twice about it.  For some reason since that day she called me we have been closer than ever.  I went to her wedding in March and she came to my graduation in May.  We have tried really hard to keep our friendship close.

Wedding Rehearsal PictureV's Wedding 018_edited-1

Her husband is a wonderful military man and so they have since moved to Colorado and Hawaii.  Michael and I have made visits to both places.  I keep telling her that they need to keep moving to fun places that we can come see them.  Here is the four of us doing what we love…hanging out.

100_0457

Hawaii_615

She has since had two kids.  One I have yet to introduce on here.  Let me tell you first how special Schuylia (Sky-Leah) is to me.  She is our niece minus the blood relation.  We skype weekly now that the newest addition has been born, but before that it was almost daily.  Sometimes Shane (her husband) or Michael will come home and just ask how the other is doing just because we talk so much.  Skye knows us as her Aunt and Uncle and that will never change.  I wish sometimes people could hear her talking to me on Skype.  I love it.  I don’t always understand it but I LOVE it.  She is the closest thing we have to a niece and we love it.  So now we have a nephew. 

Let me introduce Hawke Brian….IMG_1026Check out that adorable smile.  Sorry if the resolution isn’t the greatest.  Phone photos.  I get these all the time and they just make me smile.  I had the realization that I won’t ever get to hold him as a little baby the other day.  By the time we get to see him he will be almost 1 (if we get to see him when I want to).  We got to meet Skye at 4 months for our wedding.  I had her and a wedding and I took more time holding her than I did on my wedding.  I am working on Michael to take me to Hawaii late this year (again) just so I can hold him and play with him and kiss him.  His sister just adores him…see… IMG_1029Each time I receive a picture I think more and more about jumping on a plane and going there for a LONG visit.  I went for 2 weeks when Skye was 8 months, which WAS fabulous.  It was just my bestie, my cute niece, and me for 2 weeks.  We didn’t really do a thing.  Ordered take out and just hung out.  We only went to the beach 2 or 3 times the whole 2 weeks.  My husband is the best for letting me go alone!  If you ever want to go visit your best friend in paradise for two weeks just cry.  I asked Michael at the wedding while I was crying because they were having to leave and of course he said yes.  HAHA!!  He was sweet and Veronica’s husband was deployed at the time, so her understood her needing help.  I know everyone wants to see more pictures of two of my favorite kiddos. 

Love this look on his face…and hers.IMG_1028Just chilling in the bumbo IMG_1030Check out those curls!!!IMG_1031You totally woke me upIMG_1032Family photo time.IMG_1033

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.