Friday, November 19, 2010

Washington, D.C.

Wow. I just have to start by saying Wow. First, Washington, D.C. or as the locals refer to it the District, is beautiful in the fall. I think they planned for the trees to look the way they do whenever they were planted. I was in the District for work, but I decided since I had never been to our country's capital before I must venture out of my hotel and wander.

I love traveling and I am never really bothered by going anywhere alone. It is always better to go somewhere with a friend or loved one, but I never seem to mind the silence and the ability to do whatever I want whenever I want. Since there are about a million things to do in DC I first had to figure out what was the most important. I decided the National Mall was the way to go. I could park and walk EVERYWHERE. At one end of the National Mall is the Lincoln Memorial and at the opposite end is the capital building. Cannot go wrong with this walk. Gorgeous city. I went all over the mall and it was perfect. The picture at the top is from the Koren War Memorial, the trees to me were just amazing.
Washington Monument
Washington Monument and Capital from the Lincoln Memorial

On my way out of town, literally, I decided there was one other site I could not miss. Arlington National Cemetery. Before catching my flight I dropped over to the cemetery, and wandered around. I did not have a lot of time, but I wanted to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns and the eternal flame at the grave of John F. Kennedy. Arlington Cemetery is huge and walking around alone was a little eerie, but if you only have a short time in the city it is a must.
Just beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.