Monday, April 11, 2011

Book Club

I joined a monthly book club.  One of my friends wanted to start a book club as a way for girls to get together and hang out, since our husbands have their own weekly get together.  Last night was our first get together and I have to say it was quite fun!  We ate dinner, had some wine and of course dessert.

The book we read this time was "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman.  It is a New York Times Bestseller.  There are almost too many books on the New York Best Seller list, every book I read is on there.  Anyway.  The book was...weird and interesting, but in a, "I don't know if I liked this book or not."  The book club group all agreed on the weirdness.  It felt as though the author just threw a bunch of information together to form chapters, but the relevance of the information was a little off.  I also felt like he took ideas from other books, like Harry Potter, and added it to the book.  There was a lot of original thought, but at first I felt like I was reading an off shoot of Harry Potter.  I was definitely glad to be done with that book and if I wasn’t reading it for a book club I would have probably put the book down within the first half. 

So, what’s next for the book club, “Water for Elephants” by Sara Gruen.  The movie is coming out at the end of the month.  The book club has decided to read the book and in a month we are going to get together at a new sushi place in Fayetteville, talk about the book and then go out and see the movie together.  Should be a fun girls date night.  I am looking forward to the movie.  I thought it looked good from the previews, and I always have to read a book before the movie or I will never read the book.  Knowing the ending of a book ruins the urge to read it. 

 So, I don't recommend "The Magician" so if you were thinking about reading it don't...and if you already read it tell me if you agree or disagree that it was not good.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - the Magicians was a total waste of a LOT of time. It's like a darker, boring HP with drugs and what-not. Blugh. I think you'll like Water for Elephants way better (and I haven't even read that book - haha!)

    ReplyDelete

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.