Friday, April 29, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

So, I hate cooking.  I hate it with a passion.  I love to eat, but I hate to prepare it and all the time that takes, and I really hate the clean up.  I have decided I am going to attempt to make at least two meals a week.  I am hoping to do three, but hey start small and work my way up.  On Monday, I made Chicken Enchiladas.  I usually get on www.allrecipes.com and pick something random out or I have Michael get on there and pick something he wants me to make.  He would say I can’t cook, but I sure can follow me some directions.  Our neighbors came over to enjoy the enchiladas, because the recipe I used made WAY more than Michael and I could have eaten in a week.  In fact, I sent leftovers home with the neighbors for lunch for probably two days.  They really like the recipe, which I altered, based on Michael’s dislikes, but since it was a hit I thought I would share.  I might try and put on here the meals I do each week. 

3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups shredded Mexican jack cheese
2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken (I get it at Wal-Mart/Sam’s and use the leftovers for homemade Panini’s too)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (most important ingredient)
¼ cup of salsa  
2 cans of enchilada sauce (maybe 3)
1 can green chilies (I got a 10oz can)
2 tablespoons of chopped onion (I used a little extra)
10 (8inch) tortillas (I ended up using 15)

In a large bowl, mix all the cheddar cheese, 2 cups of Mexican cheese, chicken, soup, chilies, onion.  If you like sour cream add 2 cups of sour cream.  Warmed tortillas are easier to fold and roll.   Dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce on both sides.  Spoon mixture into center of each tortilla, the amount depends of the size you want.  Place seam side down in a greased 13x9 glass baking dish.  Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.  Sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of Mexican Jack Cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. 

I served it with Lipton’s Mexican Rice.  It ended up being a very creamy mixture in the middle.  I love sour cream, so I put a little bit on top which added to the flavor.  I also didn’t add salt and pepper, because the rotisserie chicken has a lot in it.  You could very easily boil chicken and shred it, if you don’t want to go buy a rotisserie chicken.  I included a picture.  I meant to take pictures when I pulled it out of the oven, but I forgot.  So, the picture below is the leftovers (the next day).    
A day old, but you get an idea.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Michael and I have been together since 2006. We met in college at the University of Arkansas and began our life together. We bought a house and moved to Fayetteville from the Chicagoland area in November 2009. We were married in 2010 and had our first child, a boy, in 2013. Our favorite thing to do together is travel and we have gotten the opportunity to go to lots of fun places. We are working, breathing, playful parents. Our fur baby and child are the center of our crazy life, but we wouldn't have it any other way.